As part of our strategy for taking forward the Federation we are recruiting for a Policy and Technical Adviser to join our team.
We are looking for someone that can take complex technical information and turn it into easy to understand and follow policies and guidance. They will work with the experts on our Technical and Safety Committee to tackle the main compliance challenges our industry faces. We need someone that will not only write the guidance but also get out and make sure people are aware of it and using it.
This is also an opportunity to make a difference to how policy is made. Our adviser will support the Chief Executive in our work to influence national government and the key national regulators.
We need someone that has experience of either implementing, enforcing or developing compliance policies. The experience doesn’t have to be in food storage, distribution or in temperature controlled operations. We are looking for a self-starter that can play a key role in taking our Federation into an exciting new phase.
The salary opportunity for a full time role is c. £35k per annum. Our office base is in Reading but we will consider remote and flexible working arrangements for the right candidate.
Job Description: Technical and Policy Adviser
Salary: 30k-35k + benefits
Place of Work: Grazeley, nr Reading (remote working options will be considered)
Reporting to: Chief Executive
Hours of Work: Full Time with some travel and out of hours working required (Flexible and remote working arrangements will be considered)
Summary of Role
This is a vital role at the heart of a small team. It involves co-ordinating the research, writing and dissemination of technical advice for businesses engaged in management of temperature-controlled distribution and storage facilities; supporting the Federation Chief Executive in the development of high quality policy submissions to influence national, international and local regulatory policy; and overseeing the successful management of compliance and accreditation schemes that benefit the industry.
Food Storage and Distribution Federation
The FSDF is a trade body that speaks for the food storage and distribution industry. It has unique expertise in supporting businesses operating facilities and vehicles that service the frozen and chilled supply chain. Businesses that manage refrigerated facilities and vehicle fleets face unique, and varied, compliance challenges. FSDF supports its members across all of these, most notably health and safety and food standards.
FSDF seeks to provide definitive industry guidance that helps improve standards and provides greater certainty for businesses from global corporations to small family businesses.
FSDF Technical Advice
• Researching and writing technical advice guides on key issues related to the safe management of temperature-controlled storage and distribution facilities • Handling member enquiries that arise from FSDF advice • Delivering effective communication strategy to promote awareness and use of FSDF Guidance by Federation Members
Management of FSDF Owned Accreditation and Compliance Schemes
• Providing day-to-day management of FSDF Primary Authority Partnership
• Handling all enquiries from members on issues of relevance to FSDF Primary Authority
• Managing the relationship with the FSDF Climate Change Agreement Scheme
• Working with FSDF Chief Executive to explore and establish new schemes where opportunities present
• Managing any additional schemes that are added to the FSDF service package
• Support the Federation Chief Executive in seeking to influence regulatory policy
• Undertake research into key policy issues related to temperature-controlled storage and distribution and produce papers and reports
• Establish and manage a network of member contacts to undertake regular qualitative and quantitative research
• Act as co-ordinator and secretary to the FSDF policy and technical committees
• Work with Chief Executive and Committee Chairmen to set agenda and work schedule for committees, manage communication with committee members and produce minutes, action list and other outputs
• Support colleagues with the preparation for and delivery of successful member facing events
• Work with Marketing and Events Manager and Chief Executive to implement effective communication and marketing activities that drive member engagement with the work of the Federation.
• Educated to degree level or equivalent professional qualifications
• At least 3 years’ experience working in a compliance, advisory or enforcement role
• Strong technical writing skills
• Excellent communication and writing skills
• Knowledge of temperature-controlled distribution is desirable but not essential
• Good team working skills