Marketing & Communications Manager
Salary: Up to £40k pa plus benefits package
Home based, with regular UK travel / visits to BPCA HQ, Derby
Full time position, though part-time (4 days per week) would be considered
The role is within the British Pest Control Association (BPCA), a national trade body focusing on the public health pest control sector providing a range of services to 650+ member companies and with c. £1.6m turnover. Established in 1942, the Association has achieved strong growth in recent years and has developed a popular suite of benefits, courses, events and publications. The Association operates from its own purpose built premises on Pride Park, central Derby, approximately 10 minutes’ walk from Derby Station.
The position is a key contributor towards the promotion and development of membership, events, education and training for the Association and any clients of its subsidiary company Trade Associations Services Ltd.
The work of the Marcomms team at BPCA has achieved external recognition and awards e.g. Trade Association Forum Social Media Award winner and finalist in TAF’s Magazine and Exhibition of the year categories.
Reporting to the Chief Executive and working as part of the Senior Management Team this person will provide consistent and high quality communications and raise awareness of the Association and its Membership varied activities. In addition the successful candidate will attend Executive Board meetings and manage media, public relations and public affairs in liaison with external agencies. The role will also assist with the Association’s other commercial activities.
The successful candidate will ideally be able to evidence relevant experience in a similar organisation and demonstrate a sound knowledge of relevant IT within a marketing and communications context e.g. social and other digital media. The marcomms activity of the Association is focused on its strategic plan: professionalism and raising the profile, influence and reach of the Association’s voice, its members with end users and other stakeholders in the industry.
You will be an excellent communicator and a bright, focused practitioner, dedicated to building robust professional relationships with BPCA members, your peers, team members and stakeholders. Those who hold a postgraduate qualification in Communications or CIM Marketing are highly desirable (however this is not essential) as are those who have MCIM Membership.
This post will be based from home but regular attendance at our Derby Office is essential for this role, and salary will be commensurate with experience.
The job description and person specification for this new role is available via www.bpca.org.uk/jobs.
Please provide a covering letter giving current salary details with your application, which should be sent to Lorraine Norton, Operations Manager, BPCA, 4A Mallard Way, Pride Park, Derby DE24 8GX or via email@example.com to arrive no later than 10.00am on 8 February 2019. Bear in mind we hope to hold initial interviews on the 22 February.
Job Title: Marketing and Communications Manager
Responsible to: Chief Executive
Based at: Home based, with regular UK travel / visits to BPCA HQ, Derby
Purpose: The postholder will develop and manage the marketing and communication activities for the Association, providing compelling and relevant messages to our audiences.
Direct Reports: Currently one (Content and Communications Officer)
The role requires an individual with a strategic-level knowledge of marketing and communications and experience of project management, including the delivery of a range of publications. Other requirements include the ability to plan your own work and meet deadlines, the capability to work on your own initiative and as part of a team, together with good oral and written communication skills.
• Full budgetary responsibility for BPCA’s marketing function
• Contractual responsibility for and quality management of external contractors eg design agency, PR agency, PA agency, marketing consultancy, researchers
• Inform and assist in the implementation of the strategic priorities of the Board, by scoping new markets for the members of BPCA
• Management delivery and development of internal and external communications via both online and offline promotion including BPCA website and PPC Magazine
• Evaluate effectiveness of marketing and modify as appropriate
• Develop a marcomms strategy for the Association and oversee delivery
• Proactive research of our members requirements and business opportunities, including liaison with staff and members
• Overseeing production of detailed proposals and budgets for marketing projects
• Represent the Association at events
The postholder will be required to focus on quality and continuous service improvement. Quality for BPCA means ‘fit for purpose’; the processes we follow, and products and services we deliver should all be suitable for their intended purpose. Our approach should be ‘right first time’; mistakes should be eliminated. Each BPCA employee, director and volunteer has a responsibility to monitor and propose changes which improve BPCA processes, products, work ethics and environment in order to deliver:
• Added member value
• Closer and more productive relationships with our customers
• Long term service improvements rather than quick fixes
• Effective Cost Management
• Elimination of wasted time and effort
The above list is not exhaustive. The postholder may be asked to carry out such other duties within their capability as may be required from time to time. As duties and responsibilities change and develop the job description will be reviewed and subject to amendment in consultation with the post holder.
• To be educated to degree level or equivalent standard
• Professional membership in a relevant discipline eg CIM or CIPR
• Evidence of relevant ongoing learning (eg CPD)
• Previous marcomms management experience (minimum three years post-qualification as an integral part of the role)
• Varied experience of working in marcomms, using a variety of tools and media that include online web based marketing
• Ability to present to and influence an audience
• Computer literacy and ability to work with CRM database and website packages
• The candidate needs to have a positive ‘can do’ attitude. The ability to work within a small team is essential as well as the ability to work unsupervised to meet agreed targets and deadlines
• Accuracy and attention to detail
• Strong diplomacy and interpersonal skills, with the ability to relate to people from varied backgrounds
• Ability to understand and explain complex information rapidly and clearly
• Ability to organise and prioritise workload and make confident judgements and decisions in project management
• The ability to communicate clearly both in verbal and written form
• The growth of membership of the Association is national so the successful applicant should be prepared to travel widely as required to fulfil the job requirements, with occasional overnight stays
• Marcomms experience gained with a membership association or third sector organisation
• Relevant postgraduate qualification
• Pest control industry experience
• Car driver
KEY COMPETENCIES REQUIRED FOR THE ROLE
• To manage delivery of marketing-related projects on time/to budget including:
o Development of marketing strategies
o Brand development
o Management of design and production phase for publications inc. technical manuals
• To have excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a range of stakeholders
• Ability to influence and effect change
• To be able to initiate and organise projects through to completion
• To be able to work on own initiative
• To have sound IT skills, with a good working knowledge of Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint – Adobe products, marketing platform software and experience of using a CRM database to manage participant data, with good understanding of using that data to generate reports.
A basic salary of up to £40k pa depending upon experience
• Annual Bonus Scheme (non-contractual)
• Stakeholder Pension Scheme (after a qualifying period)
• 22 days holiday plus public holidays
• Excellent working conditions