Job title: Head of Policy and Public Affairs
Department: External Affairs
Location: David Croft House, 25 Ely Place, London, EC1N 6TD
Reporting to: Director of External Affairs
Salary: £45,000 per annum plus attractive package
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To help lead the Federation of Master Builders’ (FMB) policy and public affairs activities across the UK, in line with the needs of Master Builders. To support the wider work of the FMB’s award-winning External Affairs Department, including public relations, conferences and events.
CONTEXT OF THE JOB
The FMB is the largest trade association in the UK construction sector with over 8,000 member firms. The FMB has offices based in London and throughout the UK. The FMB’s mission is for Master Builders
to be recognised by clients and industry as the best in the building industry.
The External Affairs Department has responsibility for the FMB's integrated policy, public affairs, public relations and events activities, working with both external and internal stakeholders to help promote the FMB as the voice of small and medium-sized (SME) construction firms. The External Affairs Department has three core functions:
- Profile – to raise the profile of the FMB among policy makers, the media and the wider industry;
- Reputation – to enhance and protect the reputation of the FMB so it is recognised as one of the leading organisations in the UK construction industry and a source of knowledge and professional advice for construction SMEs, policy makers and consumers; and
- Influence – to communicate with policy makers effectively to ensure they understand the potential for construction SMEs to help them meet their own objectives, influencing relevant legislation and regulation accordingly.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
· Help develop and implement the annual strategic External Affairs Strategy that includes objectives, activities and measurements of success.
· Identify, plan and manage research projects designed to shape the FMB’s policy and public affairs objectives.
· Lead on housing policy and health and safety policy specifically while also ensuring we meet our policy and public affairs objectives more generally.
· Monitor political and policy developments across all policy areas relevant to construction SMEs and help identify priority issues for the FMB and its members across the UK.
- Line-manage the Policy and Public Affairs Executive and ensure that the FMB is creating opportunities to influence public policy via all channels, including the media.
- Act as a media spokesperson for the FMB and carry out national and local broadcast interviews as and when required.
· Manage additional project work with members in order to support the development of the FMB’s policy and public affairs objectives.
· Participate in a variety of external committees and groups to ensure members’ needs are effectively represented to policy makers and other external stakeholders.
· Build and maintain relationships with key political stakeholders to increase the FMB’s reputation, profile and influence within the Government, Parliament and the devolved administrations in the UK.
· Work with other staff in the External Affairs Department and other departments in the FMB to ensure policy messaging is consistent in all communications to the internal and external stakeholders.
· Report and evaluate the FMB’s policy and public affairs achievements for staff, SMT and members.
· Apply strong project management skills to deliver all tasks on time and within budget.
· Represent the External Affairs Department on the Management Team and input to discussions and decisions regarding the wider business.
· Safeguard members and others personal data, in accordance with all relevant Data Protection legislation, including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) in force from May 2018. To participate in all training and guidance offered by the FMB on GDPR, and to keep this knowledge up to date.
· Undertake any other duties which reasonably fall within the purpose of the role.
· Educated to degree level.
· Comprehensive knowledge and experience of the policy-making process in the UK and devolved administrations.
· Knowledge of policy issues relevant to the construction sector.
· Proven ability to design and deliver research projects.
· Ability to build and maintain strong professional relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
Ability to react swiftly to events in a fast-paced news environment.
· Self-starter and results orientated.
· Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and still deliver to deadlines.
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Focus on accuracy, precision and attention to detail.
· Line-management experience.
· Ability to speak confidently and authoritatively in front of an audience.
· Previous experience of having provided policy and public affairs functions in the built environment sector.
· Previous experience of having provided policy and public affairs functions for a membership organisation.
To apply for the role of Head of Policy and Public Affairs, please send your CV and covering letter to Sarah McMonagle, Director of External Affairs, via Sarah McMonagle.
The deadline for response is close of play on Friday, 5th October 2018.