POSITION: Account Executive – Plastics in Construction
GRADE LEVEL: Executive
RESPONSIBLE TO: Head of Public and Industrial Affairs
The Account Executive will develop into the BPF’s specialist on a range of plastics industry sectors and products and the issues attached to them. He/she will manage and develop the key fora for BPF member firms operating in several important industrial sectors. The role offers wide contact with the plastics industry at top level, deep insight into the operation of UK and EU governmental institutions, involvement with the media and a strong international dimension.
The person will take responsibility for industrial issues in the BPF’s ‘Construction Sector’ which includes vinyls, window manufacturers, cellular PVC and sheet and coated fabrics. He / She will act in a liaison role with the plastics pipes and flexible foams groups in order to provide a coherent approach to construction issues in the BPF. He / She will also have responsibility for the BPF’s Expanded Polystyrene Group.
There is a European context to the role due to the liaison activity with EU government institutions, which will involve some overseas travel.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Account management & maintenance of contacts within the groups
• Co-ordinate the delivery of Group meetings and provide secretariat
• Secure an understanding of the key issues in the construction industry and EPS sector and how these affect the members. Pro-actively formulating action plans on key projects in conjunction with the members to tackle these issues
• Become the BPF’s in-house expert on trends within the plastics construction and EPS sectors
• Develop the BPF’s vision for a unified forum on construction to enable all members involved in construction to discuss joint actions / solutions
• Conducting research projects where required
• Development and delivery of communications projects for the vinyls sector
• Help develop communications materials and lobbying materials where required
• Reviewing consultations that affect members and working in conjunction with other team members where a broader response is required and help or formulate responses and execute work streams arising from these
• Communicate issues internally and back to the wider membership base
• Provide input to relevant seminars and events
• Foster excellent relations with group chairmen and members
• Ensure members gain the maximum benefit from their BPF membership
• Other duties as reasonably required, as it is anticipated that the Organisation and the role will evolve and change.
• Minimum 2 year commercial or industrial experience
• Previous experience within the plastics industry, construction industry or elsewhere in the logistics chain where construction products are used would be greatly beneficial.
• Capable of presenting both technical and business issues
• Capable of co-ordinating and managing projects to conclusion
• Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
• Good IT skills
• Professional qualification in a technical or business discipline
• Evidence of a basic scientific literacy
• Excellent written English skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with good written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
• Ability to handle business sensitive and complex information
• Capable of building relationships with colleagues and member companies
• Well organised and disciplined project management skills
• Comfortable working with people at all organisational levels
• Resourceful and flexible
• Good eye for detail